The Evangelical Fortified Church in Codlea
Fortified church / Tourist attraction - Codlea
From the newly refurbished square in Codlea one can admire the fortified church and picture its centuries-old history.
The bell tower dominates the fortified church in Codlea. Its walls reach a thickness of 5 m after having undergone several construction phases. The church was built during the 13th century and was transformed into a Gothic single-nave church two centuries later.
The first Ottoman invasion convinced the villagers of the necessity of a good defensive system. Thus an 8m high and 2m thick defence wall equipped with embrasure and machicolation surrounded the church. Granaries were also constructed in its interior, and so not only the lives of the residents were protected, but also their goods.
The interior of the church is dominated by the painted panelled ceiling, which was constructed at the beginning of the 18th century and consists of 252 panels. Also impressive is the 1783 organ, one of the most valuable instruments in Transylvania built by the craftsman Prause of Silenzia and decorated by the artist Oelhan.
Codlea Evangelical Parish Office
address: Lungă Str., no. 110
or Mrs. Hedda Bardon
address: Măgurii Str., no. 52
Text source: http://kirchenburgen.org/