The Fortified Church in Hălchiu
Between Codlea and Feldioara lies Hălchiu – in the year 1377 the village was first mentioned in a royal privilege.
A special feature is the altar of the fortified church: the choir of the Gothic hall church is rich in colour and unusually large, but its oldest structural elements date back to the 13th century. The double-winged altar is 8.1 m high and 7.7 m wide. The predella shows the visitor five figures, namely Abraham, Moses, Aaron, Peter and Paul. The figures trace the path to the divine redemption of mankind to the former parish priest Johannes Reichart. With the proclamation of the Gospel by Peter and Paul, this path is complete.
Above the predella is the central shrine; the altar has two fixed wings and two movable wings painted on both sides, mainly in red, green and gold. When the altar is open, four saints appear to the observer: each picture is also a story. The depictions with the saints show the martyrdom of the apostles Andrew and Peter and the execution of James. In a fourth picture, Saint Andrew saves a bishop from temptation by the devil. The middle of the holiday side of the altar is decorated with a Christ figure flanked on the left and right by the four evangelists.
Text and photo source: http://kirchenburgen.org/