The Fortified Church in Cristian

Fortified church / Obiectiv turistic - Cristian


Schedule

Closed
See schedule

Address

Piaţa Libertăţii 8, Cristian 507055, Romania

About

The church in Cristian with its double ring wall and the eight well preserved defence towers represents one of the most impressive examples of medieval military architecture.

The bell tower is the only remainder of the former Gothic basilica, which was entirely demolished in 1839 and replaced by today’s neoclassical hall church.

A pointed spire and four corner turrets were built on the tower in 1803. Its portal and the rose window originate from an earlier construction phase. Pairs of pillars that support the domical vaults segment the church’s interior. The altar and the pulpit were built at the same time as the church.

The assembly is still surrounded by a double defence wall, which was constructed, enlarged and endowed with nine defence towers across more than three centuries. Only eight towers still stand today.

Contact:
Mr. Erhard Porr
phone: 0040268257191

Text and photo source: http://kirchenburgen.org/

Similar Suggestions

The Evangelic Fortified Church in Feldioara

Fortified church / Tourist attraction - Feldioara

The Fortified Church in Roadeș

Fortified church

The Evangelical Fortified Church of Bunești

Fortified church

The Evangelical Fortified Church in Meșendorf

Fortified church

The Evangelical Fortified Church in Criț

Fortified church