The Evangelical Fortified Church of Bunești
The fortified church of Bunești was built with marine sedimentary rocks as one can see from the fossils in the masonry. Residential houses of the same period were built with timber. When the village was under attack, the inhabitants took refuge from the looters and arsonists inside the fireproof fortifications.
The 13th century late Romanesque pillar basilica was early prepared for battle by demolition of the side naves and fortification of the central nave and the tower by adding defence levels. The chancel was heightened in 1500 by adding a defence level with machicolations.
The 1847 added tower marks the present image of the church. The interior impresses with its tall and narrow proportions, underlined by the two-story balcony on the northern side, erected between 1680 and 1775. The railings were painted by the Roessler family, grandfather and grandson.
The fortification wall, originating in the 14th century was strengthen by four towers and had grain storage rooms on the inside.
Contact: fam. Wagner, phone: 0040268248702, Bunești no. 14
Text and photo source: http://kirchenburgen.org/